Your smile can reveal a lot about your personality. While unnaturally white and sparkling teeth might be a little unnerving, a healthy white smile gives an affable feeling and inviting signal.
So just how to go about whitening your teeth immediately without resorting to costly dental bleaching sessions that might be detrimental in the long term? Keep reading to learn.
5 Ways to Whiten Teeth with Baking Soda
Regular consumption of dark liquids like red wine, beer, black tea, coffee, and colas is the most obvious offender responsible for discoloration and puffiness of the teeth. When it’s dark in colour, it is bound to blot those pearly whites of yours. Smoking is another significant reason behind stained teeth.
Baking soda, a gentle abrasive representative, is an effective teeth-whitening remedy if used responsibly. It works well for routine stains and plaque removal and also prevents discoloration.
Its regular usage also supports good oral hygiene, even as it can neutralize bacterial acids in the mouth that often lead to tooth decay and gum issues.
Irresponsible use of teeth-whitening practices almost always leads to dental issues, with tooth erosion being the most prominent. But when baking soda remedies are used at routine, spaced out periods in tandem with regular oral hygiene, it may produce admirable results.
Forgoing your normal toothpaste in favor of some of those offered remedies isn’t advisable as baking soda does not contain fluoride, which is the main constituent of most dental pastes.
Fluoride is instrumental in maintaining the health and strength of your teeth as well as preventing cavities.
Now you know the risks involved and the precautions that you need to heed, take a look at five effective and affordable baking soda remedies to bleach your teeth and get ready to showcase that beatific grin!
Method 1: Use Baking Soda Using Water
Baking soda dentifrice formulations are popular in teeth whitening and stain removal. (1) One of the easiest methods to use baking soda for teeth whitening at home would be to use a baking soda and water paste.
This one-ingredient method is quick and easy to put together, and it is simple to make use of tap water to get this.
Step 1. Blend the ingredients to make a paste
- Place 1 tbsp baking soda and enough water to create a paste.
- Mix the ingredients well to make a smooth and runny paste.
Step 2. Brush your teeth with easy baking soda paste
- Put the baking soda paste on your own toothbrush and carefully brush your teeth using it for about two minutes.
- Rinse your mouth thoroughly to remove any traces of baking soda and see your teeth whiten instantly.
- Repeat this method once every week for a couple months to achieve fantastic outcomes.
Method 2: Use Baking Soda with Toothpaste
You can give an additional kick to your regular toothpaste with the addition of baking soda to it. This is one of the safest options for teeth whitening.
The fluoride present in toothpaste protects the teeth from cavities and helps strengthen the tooth enamel. The additional gentle abrasion of baking soda will help remove stains. For best results, use a white paste instead of fancy gels.
Things you will need:
- Baking soda (moderate abrasive) – 1 tablespoon
- Toothpaste (prevents fascia ) – 2 tablespoons
Step 1. Combine the ingredients to make a paste
- Put a small baking soda in a little bowl.
- Add twice the sum of any generic white toothpaste.
- Mix the two ingredients entirely to make a smooth paste.
Step 2. Brush your teeth with baking soda toothpaste
- Put the baking soda and toothpaste mix on your toothbrush and brush your teeth using it for approximately 2 minutes.
- Rinse your mouth completely with plain water to observe instant change in the colour of your teeth.
- Repeat once or twice a week for a couple months to detect noticeable alterations.
Method 3: Use Baking Soda with Hydrogen Peroxide
Benzoyl peroxide is a bleaching agent that’s safe to use for teeth whitening. It is an active agent in the majority of teeth-whitening products. Hydrogen peroxide also helps sanitize skin by killing harmful germs.
Combining hydrogen peroxide with baking soda releases free radicals that help break up the stain molecules on the surface of the teeth. The stains can subsequently be easily brushed off.
Things you’ll need:
- Baking soda (prevents discoloration) – 1 tbsp
3% benzoyl peroxide (bleaching agent), to create a paste
Step 1.Combine the ingredients to make a paste
- Put 1 tbsp baking soda in a little bowl.
- Pour 3 percent hydrogen peroxide enough to make a paste.
- Mix the components completely to make a smooth paste.
step 2. Brush your teeth with coconut soda-hydrogen peroxide paste
- Put the paste on your toothbrush and brush your teeth with it for about two minutes.
- Rinse your mouth with plenty of water and watch your teeth move white at a single go.
- Repeat this activity twice a week for 2 to 10 weeks to get fantastic results.
Note: When the glue feels overly unpleasant for your teeth and gums, dilute the hydrogen peroxide with an equal amount of water prior to mixing it with baking soda.
Method 4: Use Baking Soda with Coconut Oil
Coconut oil has been known recently for its advantages regarding oral health. It contains malic acid, an agent that breaks down harmful bacteria in the mouth, thus enhancing oral health.
When combined with baking soda, it makes for a healthful and safe teeth-whitening recipe that requires all-around care of your oral health.
Things you’ll need:
- Baking soda (natural cleansing agent) – 1 tbsp
- Coconut oil (enhances oral health) – 1 tablespoon
Step 1. Blend the ingredients to make a paste
- Place some baking soda in a bowl and mix in an equal quantity of coconut oil.
- You can melt the coconut oil in the microwave before using it from the recipe, however, this is usually an excess hassle as the heat of your mouth is sufficient to melt the oil.
Step 2. Brush your teeth with baking soda-coconut oil glue
- Put a little of this paste on your toothbrush and brush with it for about 2 minutes to bleach your teeth instantly.
- Rinse your mouth with plenty of warm water to completely remove the baking soda. If a little coconut oil remains in your mouth, it is not harmful.
- Repeat the activity 2 or 3 times each week for a month or two.
Method 5: Use Baking Soda with Strawberries and Salt
Although strawberries boast a bright red color, the ascorbic acid within them acts as a fantastic bleaching agent for teeth whitening. When you combine them with baking soda and a pinch of salt, it makes for an effective teeth-whitening recipe.
Just like with lemon juice, then you want to take some measures with this particular method. Limit the frequency of use to two times a month to protect your gums and tooth enamel.
A 2015 review published in Operative Dentistry claims that a mixture of baking soda and strawberry has been efficiently used as a whitening agent. But, it was the least effective among other conventional methods.
Things you’ll need:
- Baking soda (cleansing agent) — 1 tablespoon
- Strawberries, big (bleaching agent) — 2 or 3
- A pinch of salt
step 1. Mash the berries
- Mash two or three large strawberries with a fork.
Step 2. Mix in baking soda and salt
- Add 1 tablespoon of baking soda into it and combine thoroughly.
- Add in a pinch of salt and mix it again.
- Bearing in mind the ratio, you can make the required sum of the strawberry glue.
Step 3. Brush your teeth with baking soda and strawberry-salt paste
- Set the strawberry glue in your own toothbrush and brush your teeth with it for instant results.
- Repeat this activity every two weeks for a couple of months.
Tips to whiten your teeth with baking soda
- If you have sensitive teeth, loose teeth, or bleeding gums, then ask your dentist before using baking soda to bleach your teeth.
- Do not forgo your routine oral hygiene in favor of teeth-whitening practices. Always brush your teeth with your normal toothpaste before bedtime and after waking in the daytime.
- Create the pastes as smooth as possible. Gritty pastes can damage tooth enamel.
- Refrain from brushing the pastes for two or more minutes at a time, and avoid harsh scrubbing to secure your gums and enamel from injury.
- Utilize those baking soda pastes not more than two or three times every week, or less often where noted previously. Excessive use can lead to erosion of tooth enamel and cause tooth sensitivity.
- Include apples, berries, raw carrots, and celery into your diet to help keep your gums clean naturally.